Thứ Tư, tháng 6 21, 2006

More thinking

Point 8: Opening up your ideas to other people is hard – being honest isn’t. So why is there a culture of dishonesty – why do you lie? Are you so scared of saying something?” Are you so scared of taking a position? Why?

Honesty is hard at times because we have to admit that we are humans who have emotions, and feel things. To be open enough to let other people see your ideas leaves you vulnerable, people can use this information to bring you down and destroy you.

They can steal your idea for their own, they can misinterpret the idea completely and see you as insane, they can attack you with it later and never let you live it down, or you may never follow the idea through and fail people’s expectations.

When there is a culture of dishonesty it shows there is a lack of trust, and there are too many competing individuals and egos. When there are moments like this and you can predict a minority outcome it is better to remain silent or not take a position, unless you want to take the risk of upsetting people and then letting the defensive talking begin. I for one don’t take enough risks at trying to upset people and challenge them, and I am to willing to back down for there to be anything of great worth coming out.

I am not sure if it’s a female thing but I often when I am talking leave out bits and pieces because I think they already have some idea what I am talking about. Or it could be my mind is never ordered so most things come out as jumbles and I rely on other peoples experiences to link together tings, or piece together meanings.