Thứ Sáu, tháng 5 19, 2006

Ummm yeah what ever he said…

It is hard to place a large amount of trust on lectures, especially those who seem to be far away from the mass manufacture, tech and CAD, as skills can fit nicely into what we can do later on. As I know that when I am out there I’ll be using these to some extent. Skills are something which I can show off nicely to others a visual representation to look at fast.

Skills such as language both spoken and written are hard to communicate across as these involve more time, the hardest of all thing to communicate is thinking. So much goes on inside my head that is never recorded so many ideas. Learning for me is one thing I particularly value as with it I can find personal growth along with understanding, discussions, debate, confusing, anxiety and most of all confusion.

I know that with studies and the time I put in this semester has already for me paid of as I understand more of the way I think and learn as a person and to appreciate that others have had similar ideas to me. Though the hardest thing at this point in second year is to see a direction or future career where an appreciation of studies, thinking and learning can all be used beyond our studies at uni, or maybe the most likely answer the one which I fear is I seek for something which doesn’t exist and holds no tangible value viewed by others.

I don’t claim to have knowledge of what design or studies is instead I try my best and make my own meaning upon it. I value the subjects which can give me satisfaction, this may in different forms such as marks for Tech, but studies and studio don’t need marks at the end as I go along a struggle with myself each time one with confusion and total fear of not knowing an outcome, the terror of finding myself alone with my thoughts.

Forming my own meanings about what design is the hardest thing as it alters every day. I value skills over others to follower what ever the general vibe is from classmates. Though I never seem to value skills which I have been told that I am good at, I never value my artwork at all.

It is easier to sit and listen to why you lectures value certain things, and then go off and try things for ourselves or simply to just agree with one view point and cut off anything which doesn’t surround it, at times I realise I can be convinced of many things when ideas share similar values or understandings. Though my worst fear is to come out at the end of four years with a piece of paper and a false idea of how the world works, and what is valued by others. I don’t have enough faith to raise ideas which are still unspoken off.

1 Comments:

Blogger Liam Fennessy said...

raise those ideas - the ones that are unspoken.

It is an interesting thing - I remember last year in studies when I asked all of you to put your hand up if you were feminists - or believed in the rights of women - about three out of 70 had the guts to make it public. I had my hand up.
So do they all believe that women are a lower state of being human? I don't think so, but.....
The crap and mistrust that that action on my part caused is astounding - it was if bringing something as basic and universal as gender and equality into design was some sort of cardinal sin.
When I suggested that most industrial innovation has occured in the service of war - and that as designers we directly benefit from klnowledge that is generated with a view of killing people - no one disagreed - but many said that it wasn't important that it was irrelevant to design - what blinkered rubbish.

So if Basic human rights are not a topic of discussion within design education - then what does that say about our cultural values?
Disturbing isn't it?

Thứ Bảy, 20 tháng 5, 2006  

Đăng nhận xét

<< Home